Monday, December 9, 2013

November

It appears I missed posting in November altogether. I squeaked one post in at the beginning, but then I had to temporarily abandon this blog and spend time writing elsewhere. I wrote a novel in November, thanks to NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). I could have stopped in to write about the experience of writing, but there was no time for that. Every time Gummy napped, I wrote the novel. And I made it to 50 000 words by November 30. I'm not sure how.

Well, actually, I do know how. I focused on the quantity instead of the quality. I had an idea of the plot and characters, and made a rough plan ahead of time, but then during the month of November, I just wrote. I did NO editing. And I stuck to that rule, which is why I got to the end of the month with my 50 000 words.

But let me be clear: the novel I wrote is a few neighbourhoods south of Terrible.

Seriously.

I don't think the grammar is even something recognizable as English (I know what you're thinking: that's not a far cry from these posts, which I do try to edit before posting. But at least I have the excuse of being an ESL person).

I did this to reclaim some of the pieces of my identity I felt have been far out of reach since Gummy's arrival. I needed something just to myself. Something contained, achievable, confidence-boosting, fun, engrossing. And it was all that.

When I asked Mr. A in October if he would support me in doing this, however he was able, he said yes. And he mostly did that. There were a few frustrating moments when I wanted to write but he couldn't take care of Gummy, but that's par for the course. He also pointed out when we talked about it in October, that doing NaNoWriMo might make me feel better than sitting on the couch watching shit TV every night. He didn't say this in a blaming or condescending way. He just wanted me to do things that make me feel better about myself.

He was right.

I like shit TV, but I like writing even more.

So, I'm trying to figure out the balance between relaxing while watching Girl (what a gem that is) and using what little free time I have to a) get shit done and b) pursue my interests. I figure I'll feel somewhat happy about my balancing skills the day before I go back to work from mat leave, and then I'll have to start over.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations! 50,000 words in 30 days is incredible. I'm sure we'd all over to get a glimpse at your work over the past month. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dispense.. Not sure I can share it the way it is.

      Delete
  2. Hey. Writing a book in a month is AWESOME. Congrats.

    When do you go back to work?

    I am very conflicted about Girls. I loved the first season. And then not so much. But I'll still watch the third when it's out on DVD...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. back to work March 3. Just around the corner.
      I've only watched season one, but your comment makes me feel apprehensive. I like it so much !

      Delete
  3. You are so productive! Amazing.
    Also, your grammar seems just fine to me, but as a fellow ESL, who am I to judge.
    Independent of that, kudos for pushing to do something that makes you feel good about yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you serious, CC? I could never have told you were not a native English speaker (writer, to me)

      Delete
    2. Serious - though because I lived in Spain for so long, my accent isn't all that typical anymore, so people usually know I'm "not from here" and can place me somewhere in Europe, but that has been anything from the Netherlands to Croatia ;)
      The writing, well, thanks :)

      Delete
  4. 50,000 words is downright amazing. I fully believe that I would read your Terrible, and find it delightful. It is a tremendous feat! Plus, I hear novels are like pancakes, when you get started making them, it's better to throw the first few out. :)

    Going to put some writing ambition into my world as inspiration. I do not like to think of the return to work. Enjoy these months. I believe Gummi is one of the cutest creatures and soaking up that smile is sweet indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thinking of it as an exercise, or a first pancake in your description, is what helped me get going. I said to myself "you don't have to write a GREAT CANADIAN NOVEL, you can just write a shit novel to see if you can write one at all."
      Thank you for your sweet words, Misfit, as always.

      Delete
  5. I love shit TV. And the ability to come up with 50,000 words all a productive of your imagination is way impressive, regardless of quality. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finding balance after kids is easy: it's right over there! On the shelf! and if I had any energy left at the end of the day, I'd go get it! Haha! I know how hard it can be, but I think it's worth it to find that balance. I have friends who are really only MOM, and I suspect Empty Nest 'Syndrome' will hit them hardest in a few years. I hope I don't eat my own words! All that said, GIRLS is not shit TV, and Lena Dunham is brilliant. I liked both seasons, but season 2, ep 3 (aka, "Hannah does coke") is a particular favorite, mostly for her ability to write and play such a flawed, flawed person, especially at an age when many of us are still not willing to be vulnerable in our own lives, she is doing it on film! No, until you watch a half hour of people arguing their parking tickets or bidding on a storage locker, you haven't watched shit TV! I wish I wasn't speaking from experience. All that said, I really should go because I have 3 hours to finish 12 projects before The Dude is home from preschool. Love you, Momo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly me! I forgot to qualify that most of what else I watch can be pretty shitty, but Girls is actually awesome. I should have qualified.
      Hope the 12 projects are fun to do, and progressing as you'd like.

      Delete
  7. What a good man he is! I'm so glad the experience was All Those Things, particularly fun. It seems like there's real potential for it to be another obligation-slog. And you know what, you could have labored over your novel for a decade and still have it be terrible, so I say BRAVA. I hope there's something in it that you want to work with in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so impressed! I am right there with you. I don't know how to balance it all. We waited so darn long to become moms and now I feel horribly guilty doing anything that isn't directly related to my little man. Hoping that the new year brings some clarity for me and you've given me some inspiration to get some creative juices flowing again. It's time... :)

    Miss our regular "dialogue" on our blogs. I think of you often, my friend!

    ReplyDelete