Monday, October 14, 2013

Thanksgiving

Yours may be 6 weeks away, but today is Canadian thanksgiving. I have so much to be thankful for. We are spending a quiet weekend just the three of us, and I love it. Mr. A's parents did come over on Saturday, while I conveniently went to lunch with my good friends. We cooked a duck yesterday (which is saying something for someone who was vegetarian for 15 years). And today, we'll go on a little hike to appreciate the fall colours and each other. Life is very good, my friends.

What I'm most thankful for is my daughter. I was looking at her during breakfast this morning and realizing how quiet the house would be without her exuberant joy. I thought about how I would be going to work tomorrow morning, still silently carrying the heavy shroud of my infertility and childlessness, while I continued assessing and treating other people's children. I thought of how if she wasn't here, I would not know how much love my heart can hold. But she's here, and I am blessed beyond measure.

Tragically, my friend Conceptionally Challenged is not counting her blessings, but instead suffering an unimaginable loss. After years of infertility, she got pregnant with twins and lost them both this weekend at 20 weeks gestation. Please, if you have a kind thought to spare, visit her blog and let her know you care.

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely Thanksgiving indeed.

    I am positively heartbroken for Conceptionally Challenged. Sad beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Augusta. I had been so looking forward to Thanksgiving, when I'd have been 27 weeks or so... But I am so glad you have Gummy in your life now, and I still have hope that, some year, there will be a Thanksgiving (American, Canadian, I'll take any) that we here can celebrate as a family of more than two.
    Thanks again. Your support means so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe in your future thanksgiving with baby/babies. And I am so deeply sad that this year's thanksgiving will be so coloured by the fact that you would have been 27 weeks pregnant but that you won't be.

      Delete
  3. Oh, happy Thanksgiving, Augusta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete