Thursday, March 28, 2013

The first month

My daughter is one month old today. And it still thrills me to say my daughter.

For those of you still awaiting your first child, please don't give up (and please don't read this post if you're not up for it - this is hard shit you're going through and there's no need to make it harder by reading about some blogger's baby bliss). So far, this experience is beyond amazing. I cannot find the words to say how grateful I am that we KEPT FIGHTING to become parents. All the effort, the years, the tears, the fists shaking at the sky, the early morning trips for monitoring, the international treatment, EVERYTHING was worth it when I hold and look at Gummy.

just look at her
Gummy Girl in dad's arms
Here are a few observations on her first month of life.

Sleeping: Much like her parents, this girl likes her sleep. She has stretches of 4-5 hours at night, and 2, 3 or 4 hours during the day. Lots of REM sleep - bodes well for her neurons.  

Eating: She eats formula. I am still a bit sad about the breast feeding not working out, but I feel better about it. You extraordinary women have really helped me accept that this was the right decision. I told my doctor this morning, and she also supported me in the decision to give up on breastfeeding.

Gazing: I noticed that in her first few days of life, she could not hold my gaze at all. After about a week, she started being able to hold it for at least 5 seconds. I love that she now focuses on my face and holds my gaze as I am talking to her.

Bilingualism: Operation One Parent One Language is going ok so far. I can't help speaking to her in English most of the time, because it's now the language I use most in my life. However, I read to her and speak to her in French every day. So far, she is using neither English nor French to respond.

Early Modeling Career: We had our newborn photo shoot on Sunday and she did great! She was actually a total ham. The photographer sent us a few shots as a sneak peak and we were very pleased with how those turned out.

Early Hiking Career: Gummy Girl has been out on many walks already. None have actually been in the woods yet, but there are trees where we've walked.  I have even been able to strap on the ergo carrier myself and take her out for 20-30 minutes. So far, her reaction to walking has been to fall asleep. I take that to mean that she is comfortable with the activity, which as with the sleeping, this reflects that she is her parents' girl.

Dining Out: Newborns are extremely portable, it turns out. We've been out to several restaurants in town for breakfasts, lunches and even fancy dinners, all of which she handled beautifully.

Assertiveness: So far, Gummy's temperament is awesome.  She is calm and content most of the time. That is, until she needs something. Then she lets us know. Gently at first, but if need be, she will get loud. I love a girl who knows what she wants and can express her needs.

Happy One Month, Gummy Girl

One month today!
 

25 comments:

  1. Oh, beautiful!!

    Yes, take advantage of newborn portability. Older babies are less so and toddlers, well, you don't want to take them anywhere!

    Going to send you an email, in response to comment you left on my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwww. She is so adorable! And so much hair! I love those little cheeks too. And sleep is sooooo gooooood.

    Newborns are delightfully content about being hauled about. On the other hand, Tatoe (17 months, walking and talking) likes to shriek at the top of his lungs when he doesn't get what he wants...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I can't believe it's already been a month. But that does mean I'll meet the lovely Gummy girl (aka YOUR DAUGHTER!!!!) in just over 1 more month, and I cannot wait. XOXOXOXOXO and love to all 3 of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that face!! And those sweet little hands. So lovely and so good that she is your daughter! xo Themis

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! So happy for you. Glad you are enjoying it so much and what a champ at sleeping Gummy is. Soak it in Augusta...you deserve every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. she is so beautiful! love the hair! so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on such a gorgeous darling. I am thrilled that you are getting out. I warn you of the 6 week transformation. Just when you get used to things, miss thing will change on you. Some parents little ones remain good sleepers and nappers. Others are like my E and give up on everything but one good 5 hour stretch at night. Naps were a disaster and I felt like a huge failure. Turns out, her little brain was firing up and the world was far to exciting to miss even a minute.

    Soak it in. Enjoy the walks, meals, and general loveliness of being the family Augusta. It is worth what it takes, and it's just tremendously unfair that the finish line is not promised as part of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh god she is lovely. I am just thrilled for you. What a wonderful baby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She makes my heart sing. I can only imagine what she does for yours. Daughter is a magnificent word.

    Congrats on your BF independence,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to meet her SO much!! I want to visit SO badly!!
    -Momo

    ReplyDelete
  11. *Kisses your DAUGHTER all over her face* My GOD, that gorgeous girl. I am so deeply impressed that you are leaving the house. WOW. And I loves me some babies who let me know when they need something and otherwise are sunny and lovely. Keep it up, little one. I am also fond of little girl babies with loads of dark hair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've missed a lot Augusta. Sorry to be awol. Gummy girl is absolutely perfect - that photo is 100% pure adorable-ness. And, the best part? She's YOUR daughter. Well done woman. xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is so cute, your daughter, I want to congratulate all over again.
    And thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is absolutely gorgeous Augusta! You have a daughter -- how amazing is that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. First, she is absolutely beautiful! So glad to hear that things are going well and that you are feeling more comfortable with having to give up breastfeeding. She is obviously a well-loved little girl and is lucky to have you and Mr. A!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is stunning! How beautiful. What a sweet and sensitive thing for you to do by adding a disclaimer. That said, your posts give me such hope as I continue to fight the infertility battle, so I enjoyed every minute of your post. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. GET OUT OF THE HOUSE NOW! ha ha. I didn't realize this, but best advice we ever got is to go out while the babe is in the portable stage. So glad that you discovered it. (It gets harder!) Anyways, I love Gummy- look how adorable she is... I am so happy for you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. She is beautiful my dear friend! So happy to hear that things are going well. Like you, I am so very glad that we kept fighting. Hoping that by some stroke of luck our little ones may meet some day! Hugs my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rha, elle est vraiment mignonne.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have just found your blog, am about to move on to DE, and you and Gummy Girl have given me such hope! She is heart-stoppingly beautiful and I have looked at her photo a few times now. She is the reason we all go through this stuff, and keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh she is lovely, Augusta. LOVELY. It is so good to see Gummy in the flesh. And I am glad that the first month has gone so well. It's a bit of a doozy, no matter how it goes, but it sounds like you have weathered it all very well. On the walking/hiking front, I'm convinced that this is of utmost importance. Oliver, as well, was taken out for daily walks (and in the cold of winter) from the day we got home from the hospital. Good for baby, good for mama.

    ReplyDelete
  22. She is beautiful! She was totally worth all the blood, sweat, and tears. Way to hang in there through it all. Thanks for the updates. Keep up the good work. You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really love your blog.. Pleasant colors & theme. Did you create
    this site yourself? Please reply back as I'm looking to create my own personal blog and would love to know where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Cheers!

    My web site jalousien

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yay! What a beautiful child. And you are amazing. I am so, so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete