Saturday, March 16, 2013

rocket rounds, blogging edition

On one of my many practicum placements, the mental health unit had rocket rounds in the morning. Just 2-3 minutes to talk about each patient on the unit, in order to give everyone a heads up about what was going on for him or her. I'm thinking blitz blogging might be the equivalent for the new mother who likes to blog. I'll use any 2-3 minute stretches of time instead of waiting to have that hour to write a long, detailed post about what's up. Gummy is starting to squawk for food, so this will truly be brief.

Augusta update:
I have not returned to hospital since being discharged last Monday (honk horns and throw confetti).
My blood pressure spiked again on Monday morning, so the discharge was delayed until the afternoon, when they finally agreed to let me go home, with 3 follow-up appointments during the week to check on me.
It finally started coming down a little bit on Wednesday, and significantly on Thursday. When I took it this morning, it was 126/81. WOW! I haven't seen those numbers since...well, since the tsunami of blood, but before that it had been many weeks.

Gummy update:
She is thriving! Oh, I love this girl so much. She was 7lbs 13oz on Tuesday at her second doctor's appointment. And yes, she is being fed mostly formula. There is an entire breastfeeding post to write, but I'll have to tackle that when I do indeed have more that 2-3 minutes. Suffice it to say that the disruptions encountered in the post-partum period have done nothing to help an already precarious breastfeeding situation. Trying not to feel guilty for sleeping more than 3 hours in a row at nigh.

We went for our first walk yesterday, the three of us. Gummy liked the ergo carrier. Today, we are hoping to make it to market.

(pictures in the next post)
 


10 comments:

  1. Hey, no guilt about sleep. Just enjoy it for what it is. And yay for no more hospital visits and finally being out and about. Spring is coming...enjoy more walks when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been through major life events. Breastfeeding was traumatic and awful event pin many ways. That gummy is gainingbweight and thriving makes my heart sing. And that BP going down is a fact to also rejoice. Savor those sweet outings. The ergo woobie is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you are out of the hospital, on the mend, and that Gummy is thriving! As for breast feeding, the boys and I could never get the hang of it. I pumped for 4 months, but with my supply, that amounted to them getting mostly formula and being supplemented with breast milk. You know what? They are smart, happy healthy, well-adjusted boys. Be forgiving to yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that you and Gummy are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confetti! Lots of little paper horns!

    I wondered if being hospitalized repeatedly might have done a number on breastfeeding... at this point, I have to say, I think it's overrated. Plus one of my friends pointed to a paper on how maybe it's the physical contact of being held, not the breastmilk itself, that helps babies out. So I hope that eventually you're able to be at peace with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing that Gummy is thriving. AND that you're out of the hospital. Be kind to yourself on BF'ing; it's a tough road WITHOUT the interruptions you've experienced. As long as everyone is healthy it's all good, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. so glad to hear that you are both doing well xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry that motherhood has been such a trial by fire. It's pretty intense even without going to the hospital every other day. But I'm grateful that you and Gummy are okay. I hope that in between the scares and separations you guys are having a glorious time. A family-of-three walk is a beautiful, beautiful thing. As is that babe of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to hear you are home and both doing well!! Love the Ergo carrier, nothing like some fresh air to bring peace! Be gentle with yourself in terms of BF'ing, the most important thing is that she is loved and her vital needs are met all the rest is icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing great mamma! Great to hear from you. And please don't beat yourself up about formula fed vs. breastfeeding. It is what it is. I had bp issues after delivery as well, combined with the skull crushing headaches for 2 weeks due to the abnormal bp's after delivery and the insane feeding/no sleep schedule that made the headaches worse, I couldn't survive this way and gave way to formula feeding too. It wasn't without ALOT of guilt...but move past it. It is what it is. There is NOTHING wrong with formula feeding.

    ReplyDelete