Saturday, February 16, 2013

Benched: a stay-on-the-couch journey

Oh lovelies, what would I do without all of you. Thank you for your warm, supportive comments. I read each one several times and drew much comfort from them. Thank you.

I went back to the Pleasantville Birthing Unit on Thursday for another non stress test and squeezes of the arm through the sphygmomanometer (a fun word, ain't it). Gummy continued to showboat her good health for the nice medical staff, while mama Augusta was again looking a bit dim. Fine with me; I'm a little bit more robust at this stage in my life than she is. I had only taken 3 doses of the lab.etalol and it had not made much of a difference yet. My readings were not great.

Dr. Smiley was on call that day, which brought me a good measure of comfort. She said I was done with work. No more commuting. No more working. I was able to negotiate for the rest of Thursday and all of Friday, but on the promise of working "lightly"* The readings also showed I was having contractions. Couldn't feel them at all, but Dr. Smiley wanted to check my cervix to be sure. The u/s I had last Monday showed it was long, but she thought it would be worth checking if was starting to open up. But no. Closed for business.

I went back to see Dr. Smiley at the OB office on Friday morning. She liked my b/p a lot better at that point. She wrote me a note for my employer, and said she would see me again next Tuesday, at which point we would talk about eviction notices. She has stated that Gummy is not staying in there longer than 37/38 weeks. 37 weeks is on Monday, women. MONDAY.

So, mental gymnastics are being performed to ensure proper wrapping of the mind around this new reality. Next week or the week after is a lot sooner than March 11. But a healthy Gummy and a healthy mama is our goal. And Dr. Smiley has all my trust. If she says this is what needs to happen, we will abide (not without asking all kinds of questions of course, but she is used to that by now).

So I have to work on my resting techniques. I'm not a pro, but I'm being asked to work on it. There is still a list of things to do BG, but I'll focus on the essentials. There are a few work-related loose ends to tie up from home. And then there will be a birth, during and after which resting will be elusive.

Stay tuned. I can predict with annoying certainty that my next post will be all about my freak out over induction versus caesarean section.


* ambiguous enough that I can't feel completely guilty for breaking my word and staying at work until 8pm on Friday. Not wise, but patient work tugs notoriously at the heartstrings and cannot be ignored. And there is also the ethics code and the ever present fear of being sued.

23 comments:

  1. An induction isn't too bad...but the Mag Sulfate they give you with high b/p is awful stuff! I hated that. I'm glad that even with the high(ish) (lol) b/p that you are still feeling well though, I felt awful and was very happy when Lola was evicted! I'll be thinking of you hoping that you continue to rest and feel good!
    All my very best thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, honbun. This rest sounds like a good thing, but hard to get rapidly accustomed to! And wow, Monday's soon. You can do this, mama. Whatever happens, as you say, Dr. Smiley is the master and will make sure everyone is doing great. But so much to take in at once. Love you from down here. Thank you for your sweet pumpling thoughts today. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will say that if that cervix remains long, induction might be out. If you do have some signs that girl is getting ready, the induction thing will be on the table.

    Monday. Wheee! Terrifying and exciting all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending thoughts & love your way!! Oh the apprehension! The c-section really wasn't as awful as I expected it to be, ugh but the magnesium they put me on before that because of the pre-eclampsia was horrible!! Holding hope you don't need that & most of all for a smooth safe delivery for you & little gummy bear!! So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Dr Smiley!!
    It's all so close Augusta, So close!! Its very exciting from where i'm standing but I do get that there will be a few more complex emotions coming from you on the couch!! Thinking of you and totally eager to read your next post on c-section vs induction... you're my teacher afterall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are mine, darling. We help and teach each other.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you are taking it easy. I really have no sound basis to say this, but I think pushing yourself in the last few weeks of pregnancy is really not great of an idea- I see a lot of people doing it,and for what? The work we can get done in a few weeks, the bosses we keep happy? Mehhhh to both. Pregnancy takes so much out of you, there is no way to quantify what good rest does both you and the baby, I just *feel* it may be significant. Not very scientific, I know!

    So very close- I'm really looking forward to seeing Gummy!!

    Btw,my friend at NYU attended a talk about C-sections and the microbial flora of a baby...it talked about how missing out on the journey through the birth canal changes microbial composition of the baby's gut for the worse. Right now, they are linking nearly every disease state to altered microbial flora. Its interesting, but I'm not knocking C-sections at all, there are many times, where given all the factors, its the much prudent choice.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really interesting - I've heard that being squeezed through the canal clears the baby's lungs, but I've never heard about it affecting the gut. If you happen to read this, would you mind sharing more info? How does a vaginal birth do anything to the gut? Really interesting idea. I don't disagree with the linkage between microflora and disease.

      Delete
    2. Jay, I've actually been thinking about that specific new body of research and am aware that so much is being linked to gut microflora imbalance/deficiency. This is why I would favour a vaginal birth, but I may not get to decide. And this is fine. The goal is still live baby/healthy (as can be) baby.

      Delete
  7. I did not want an induction or a c-section and I had both. Couldn't care less now. Please don't let the birth stress you out too much - eyes on the prize: Gummy! So glad she's so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I am so very excited for you :) We also had to give an eviction notice - they tried to induce and it failed (LOTS of painful contractions but the cervix was stubborn and refused to open) so we ended up with a C-section. Recovery was not bad and we have a wonderfully HEALTHY and happy little girl to show for it. Rest easy and know that Dr. Smiley will do what is best for you and Gummy. Thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you! Hoping and praying that everything works out and that you are holding that precious little gummy in your arms. Much love my friend... (and we're both going to be holding little ones sooner than we thought....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, Patience, looks like we will become moms at the same time! YEAH!

      Delete
  10. Oh my oh my, beloved Augusta. Words fail. What a momentous time. Am I surprised to hear you worked til 8 on Friday? Not even. But listen, my favorite tireless, strong, action-loving woman: that's it. Rest now. Netflix is your new best friend. Well, maybe third behind Chicken and Mr. August, both of whom are way more snuggly. I know chilling out will be hard, but channel that "chill sauce" from the summer of 2000 and remember the instructions of our wise and smart-ass friend T.O.: "everybody chill." That is now your mantra. And I know you and Gummy will do great however Dr. S decides birth needs to happen: there will be a very healthy, happy new mama and a very healthy, happy, lucky, outside Gummy no matter what. Sending love and chill sauce from me and all the Oat-berg clan. Xoxoxoxo, Oat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of chill sauce in a long time, but I am sprinkling some on right this minute. Thank you and the Oat-berg clan. Love you.

      Delete
  11. WOW, that IS soon! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think most times docs opt to try induction before scheduled c-section. And I don't think that's a bad deal (having done it both ways).

    You're in my thoughts!!! Looking forward to the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had high blood pressure and was on bed rest from 30 weeks on - developed pre e and was induced/emergency c section at 35 weeks - read my blog if you want to hear my birth story (not too scary - ended with healthy mom and baby which wa my goal!). Hang in there, not much time now!!!
    Here from LFCA :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Er...you don't have a baby already, so you? If so, give her a big kiss for me. Otherwise... What a tremendous moment! One in a series of tremendous moments. I am just too nervous and excited to think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still a fetus. Tomorrow's OB appointment will be the determining factor for what happens next. Eeeeeeeeeee!

      Delete
  15. You're going to have a baby!!! (Ok, I know that that is no longer news, but it's so soon). I hope you can find it in you to rest and to enjoy these last few days before gummy is on the outside. I'm just bursting, I'm so happy for you! I wish you peace of mind as you contemplate your delivery options... it sounds like you are in very good hands. :D. Love and prayers, as always -- Themis

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are not alone. I also had blood pressure problems towards the end of my pregnancy and was in bed the last month. Please look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG!!! You are so close to meeting your precious gummy!!!! Just keep this thought in mind and let Dr. Smiley worry about the rest.

    ReplyDelete