Thursday, November 1, 2012

I could get used to this

I had my first 'in office' OB visit this morning (my last one involved meeting my OB at the hospital). It went so well! She confirmed that the ultrasound results showed that the shadow was completely gone and there was nothing to worry about. Little SCH could still be seen, but she said that again, those were shrinking and nothing to worry about. My blood pressure was good. The fundus height was exactly where it should be. The baby's heartbeat was wonderful. She said gummy's weight estimation puts him/her at the 55th percentile. I told her I could get used to appointments like these, were everything goes well.

Oh ladies, it felt completely unusual (and frankly wonderful) to go in for an appointment and have absolutely nothing wrong. How many years of going to the RE and getting bad news after bad news, sprinkled with some good news that turns into bad news? Too many.

I asked about the sex of our gummy but it was not on the u/s report. At first, the resident seemed to say that I just wouldn't find out since there might not be any more u/s. When the OB came in, she said we'd probably do a growth scan at 30 weeks and be able to see the sex at that point. She intimated that the u/s tech was wrong to say that 19w4d was too early to visualize the sex. She said she'd send me somewhere else next time.

I also learned more about viability in our part of the world. It is, as in other first world nations, 24 weeks. I asked specifically if that was true in our little college town, and was told yes, since they transfer women to the big university hospital. The resident said she'd delivered a 23-week-old who lived. They will keep women delivering in Pleasantville starting at 34 weeks. I was grateful that Dr. Smiley explained all that, and that she totally got why I was asking. I need to get to the next milestone, I said.

I brought up the weigth issue, but it turned out to be a nonissue. When asked about it, my weight gain was described as "perfect".  Of course, I had been worried about it since, you know, it seems to be going up and up and up. The small remnants of anorexic Augusta start to voice their concern with any upward movement of the scale. But it was a tribute to my healthy self to hear that this is all unfolding as it should. At least, that's what I heard. Healing from the eating disorder has involved working towards eating as intuitively as I possibly can. It took more than a decade to get there, but I know it's been a great deal easier in the last 5 years. To know that I can do this part intuitively - the part about eating more to grow a baby - makes me see how completely I'm over that mindfuck. I feel really thankful for that (and yes, I might sing a different tune when I feel crappy about the baby weight once gummy is here). 

Well, I feel a bit like I jinxed things by congratulating the four amazing women who are recently pregnant. Almost as soon as I posted, I learned that La Fille's pregnancy was doomed, in more ways than I can really describe here. If you have any words of French in you (bonjour counts as a word), please go over at L'AMP pour les Nuls and give her a hug.

16 comments:

  1. great news!and good for you for putting some of the anorexia firmly behind you...hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, perfect! What a wonderful thing. (In some ways I wish they'd never told you about the SCHs OR the shadow. I know it's not exactly a case of a lot of worry for nothing, but I hate that you had all that anxiety. Blech.) I'm sorry the sex of your child is being withheld from you--how bizarre! Here in glorious America I hear you can go to a MALL for an ultrasound. 24 weeks will be here soon, and then the survival rates will go up very quickly, which is totally not relevant because you will go to term, but I know there were times that chart brought me comfort...Milestones. Very happy to see you moving along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, glad everything is going so well! And glad you'll get another ultrasound tech the next time around...I knew LG's sex at 17 weeks!! And 19-20 is pretty routine...

    But yay for boring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! I'm thrilled that things are going so well for you and that you had a good OB appointment. Yes good ones are awesome after so many stinky ones. Wishing you the best in the upcoming weeks...may they go by quickly but still be enjoyed to the fullest :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to read this post. Thinking nothing but positive things for you and the little gummy. You deserve every one of these "easy" appointments my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boring and everything is going great appointments are AWESOME! I love that you had a good experience with all good news. We tend to always be waiting for the other shoe to drop in Infertile Land, don't we? However, it IS so nice when things are going just as they should and maybe we can feel a little foolish for those fears. Maybe. Keep up the good work of growing a great Gummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet milestones, sister. I love this normal business. Let's keep that up shall we? Yeah, malls do ultrasounds. I know someone who had a doctor not tell them the sex and trotted directly off to get a vanity 3-d ultrasound. It's a first world problem.

    Very much tuning in to keep up. These updates are bread from heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading this post (well, until the end. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend - awful news). Its about time that Augusta gets to stroll into an OB's office and have a "normal" appointment. Yeaaaaah Augusta!!! I couldn't be happier for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for normal and middle of the road percentiles! It has to be frustrating to await finding out gender of the baby- i'd better get used to it because in India it is illegal for a doctor to disclose fetal gender. Even the woman doing CGH microarray of the embryos (if I'm lucky enough to get there) will not be telling me the gender.

    I'm sorry about your friend- I went over and I know some schoolgirl french but I could not figure out what was going on.

    But I'm so glad you are here...in this lovely, lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "the shadow was completely gone and there was nothing to worry about."
    SCH: shrinking and nothing to worry about.
    I have been *longing* to hear these words, and am beyond thrilled to hear them.
    Hooray and congrats! I am a happy happy future American Auntie.
    XOXOXO,
    Oat

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy to hear this wonderful news! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merci pour tes mots. Le plus dure semble être derrière nous. Biz.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So thrilled to read that all is going well with you, hoping that everything with this pregnancy remains perfectly drama free!! Lots of love to you friend and yes the weight was difficult for me as well but it came off surprisingly fast thanks to breastfeeding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear how well your appointment went. I had no idea that you battled anorexia, I can't imagine how hard that must be and I know that I had difficultly, especially at first, dealing with the weight gain. I really worried about afterwards and I will tell you that afterwards was hard but it did come off and I wasn't as worried once I actually had them. I think I was too busy to worry. Have you thought at all about getting a belly bandit? I loved it just for my sanity. My tummy was not pretty right after delivery and I just having this band to put around it and hold everything in made me forget about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I'm so happy to hear about this appointment. I read your news a few days ago but am only getting a chance to post now. First, yes: what a wonderful thing it is to be told that all is exactly as it should be, with no bad news mixed in (may your appointments from now until Gummy's healthy arrival ALL be like this). Second, I think it is marvelous that you are eating intuitively, and clearly doing it very, very well. As to the baby weight, I think you (well, every woman!) have to make a deal with yourself not to even *think* about it until the 6 month mark (at least). That same intuitive eating continues for a very, very long time and for a very good cause (whether a woman breastfeeds or not).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on a good appointment! I totally know what you mean about how weird it feels though. After every single OB appointment I have this nagging feeling that like something was forgotten or missing, and then I realize, oh yeah - I haven't been given anything to worry or cry about. I'm so grateful to be having a boring normal pregnancy, but it is certainly unnerving at the same time! Like I can't trust it. Let's hope all continues to be smooth sailing for you!

    ReplyDelete