Friday, September 21, 2012

the good news/bad news phone call

And the circus continues...

The good news
It appears the little shits (SCH) are gone. "Almost completely resolved" were the words used by my doctor.

Awesome.

but there were new findings on the u/s

The bad news
Shadows were detected on the ultrasound, described as a thin membrane on the right side of the uterus.

Dr. Lovely said it could be 3 things:

1) An amniotic band: the most shitty of all prospects, these things wrap themselves around the fetus's body parts and constrict growth. This is apparently how cleft palates, cleft lips and club feet are made. And worse. Please don't google-image it. It's not pretty.

2) A uterine synechia: basically adhesions (fibroids, polyps), which seem to threaten babies less than the effing bands mentioned above. However, I did find a study that said it could lead to PPROM, placental abruption, or malpresentation (i.e. breach or other non-birth friendly positions of the fetus). Another study said it was not associated with complications.

3) A nonfused amnion: this third possibility, she urged me not to worry about. She said that it was too early to tell if this is a problem. Dr. google said it's related to chromosomal abnormalities in some cases.

Also, it appears that the placenta is low lying (but not considered placenta previa at this point). Luckily, I knew not to worry about that right now. As the uterus grows, the placenta tends to move up (well, it doesn't move, but the uterus expands making it seem as it is migrating north).

She advised that the restrictions recommended for the SCHs be kept in place until I see the OB on October 5 and/or my next u/s at 19 weeks. No gym. No lifting. No sex. Mr. A will be thrilled.

So, there. More exquisitely precise potential afflictions to worry about. I feel like I'm really excellent at worrying about things even without prompts. Really, I don't need tangible causes for worry, I do just fine worrying over nothing at all.

I just want gummy to be born alive. Healthy. Ready to grow into a child, an adolescent, an adult. 

18 comments:

  1. Ugh! I am so sorry that you are having to deal with all of this! I am thinking of you and praying that all turns out OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge worrier without cause. With cause, I am insane. I am right with you here and want you to know that I'm pulling for and this gummy with all I've got. I will look for some hope in that the hematomas are banished and will will this new worry in that direction,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, damn damn damn. You don't need this.

    Is it possible that a shadow is just a shadow?

    I hope it turns out to be nothing menacing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe what I am reading. How on earth did you handle the call? How did you keep walking with that running in your head, let alone drive a vehicle home. Oh Augusta. There is no definite identification of any of this yet but I can only imagine how heavy it feels.

    I just dont know what to say. I am worrying right by your side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wishing so hard for you that happy, healthy baby ends up in your arms. wishing it was easier for you my sweet friend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want that last sentence for you so much Augusta. And from a professional worrier I know how heavy the burdon of worry can be. I really hope the 5th October brings a whole lot more hope and that you can pack a few of the worries away. Holding your hand here. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! Augusta, I'm a professional worrier too and I just feel for you! Like everyone else who has commented, I pray that this turns out to be nothing and that October 5 brings comfort and good news. You, Mr A and the babe are in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really Deep Breaths here.

    I just don't even know what to say, or think. So I just take a really deep breath. and exhale love with the vision that it finds its way to you and Mr A and your sweet perfect gummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. UGH!! Pregnancy is such a effing scary time! I for one ruminated constantly throughout my entire pg...that's why I don't want to do it again!! GOOD news is you are HALF WAY through this mental mind screw called pregnancy that you worked so hard to achieve...thinking of you Augusta!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its so efffin horrible that when one cause of worry goes away, another springs up. Heads of hydra indeed. I'm praying with everything I've got that this turns out to be nothing, and that gummy emerges utterly healthy and ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No no no, this is hard enough without scary uncertainties! I am hoping with everything I've got that this turns out to be nothing, so you can go back to the plain old abstract worrying. Restrictions? You've handled much worse than a few restrictions. Just take care of you, and hope those pages on the calendar flip quickly. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Augusta, I am so sorry. I hate that you can't just have a normal, run of the mill freaking pregnancy. I am keeping everything crossed for you that these are all just possibilities that amount to absolutely nothing and that gummy is safe and happy right where he/she is. Thinking of you dear friend... and wishing there was more I could do. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg. I am so deeply sorry that there's more worry. I'm thankful the hematomas are gone, but ....AAAAAAAAARRRRG! Everything (aloe included) so desperately crossed that it's 4. Nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WTF UNIVERSE?!?!? When are going to leave poor Augusta alone?!? Shadows---grrrr. I am sending all kinds of good healthy shadow free vibes your little gummies way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bon, j'ai juste compris qu'un truc clochait mais pas quoi (va vraiment falloir que je bosse mon anglais) et je t'offre tous mes doigts (ceux des pieds aussi) pour que tout aille bien. Je t'embrasse.

    ReplyDelete
  16. aaargh. while i bang my head in the wall screaming NO! I will hold onto hope that all this worry and anxiety will be but a distant memory swallowed up in the joy of you holding and loving on your little baby in a few months. hang in there my friend, and know that I am just one of the many other people hoping and praying that things work out. looking at your timeline I see there are only 167 more days to go. I pray they will pass quickly and smoothly. I want to see a picture of you smiling and holding your beautiful child.

    jana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, just thinking of you and I hope you're holding up OK.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Link exchange is nothing else however it is just placing the other person's weblog link on your page at proper place and other person will also do similar for you.

    my site: rapid weightloss

    ReplyDelete