Tuesday, August 28, 2012

the gummy lives

Baby is alive and kicking. And flipping around. And moving his/her arms around. And has a great heartbeat (165bpm). It measured ahead by a few days: today is 12w1d, and he/she measured 12w5d.

Another long wait before my turn, and how grateful was I to have ignored their directives to start drinking water one hour ahead of he appointment. I ended up waiting 45 minutes in the waiting room, so I would have had to do something with all that extra fluid in the mean time. Like cry. Or drool (thanks Pumpkin). No need, I simply started drinking 30 minutes ahead of my appointment and so it was all tolerable. As for the crying, that happened anyway. The technician put the probe on my abdomen and didn't say a bloody word (and I couldn't see the screen). Here's a reenactment:

Augusta: [silence]
u/s tech: [silence]
A: (in her most feeble voice - choking on her words)...is it still alive?
u/s tech: (in a bubbly voice as if to say the sky is still blue) Oh yeah!
A: [tears]
u/s tech: there are some tissues right there...and now I'm going to cry too.

This u/s gave me a lot of confidence. Gummy bear seemed so strong, so much his or her own person. Gummy looked so comfortable in there, just chillin' by (in) the pool, looking for someone to bring him or her a virgin mojito.

It's a glorious day, women. Thank you for celebrating with me.

12 comments:

  1. I AM SO VERY HAPPY!!!! HUGE GRIN. Go little gummy go! Enjoy that pool. It's a pretty special place to be.

    And I love that little Gummy is already his or her own person. Knowing who her or his mama is, I am not at all surprised.

    Just gotta say it again. So happy for you!!!!!

    Xoxoxoxoxo and much love and happiness.
    Oat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wonderful!!! You're over the big hurdle. Here's to a healthy ~28 more weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! I'm so happy for you! I just knew it'd be a good day! Way to go Gummy Bear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY DANCE!! Go little gummy, go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray for answered prayers, requested miracles, and your strong, sweet gummy bear. So tremendously joyful for you and Mr. A!!! Love to all three of you. -A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Checked in today for exactly this news. So happy. This is wonderful.

    I can't stop smiling, Yes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so awesome!! In the safe zone now!! So happy for you Augusta, nobody deserves this more than you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tears of joy for you, my dear. This is fabulous news. I am overwhelmed with gratitude in good things. Hello Gummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEAH!! So happy and excited for you. I bet u/s techs really love their jobs on days and moments like that :) Love the gummy chilling by the pool reference. Here's to a wonderful remaining 28 weeks

    ReplyDelete
  10. HELL YEAH!!!!! So very excited for you, great news congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY !!!! I was thinking how what we were going though waiting to hear ("It will be okay. It HAS to! The odds are totally in her favor! There's no reason to think it won't! It WILL be okay!) was a tiny little microcosm of what you must have been experiencing. What a moment. So glad.

    ReplyDelete