Monday, August 27, 2012

superstitions and miracles

Miracle: I weaned myself from all my meds on August 15. As you recalled, I acted in defiance of my medical orders and took some progesterone on August 16. Again on August 18. And then no more progesterone. Those first 5-6 days post weaning were inhabited by cold sweats and obsessive inspections of the toilet paper. Nothing remotely pink turned up. What is more, I felt more nauseous and more fatigued. I was forced to conclude that my pregnant state was continuing.

Superstition: I have successfully put away the bottle of estr.ace. However, the bottle of promet.rium, despite being almost empty, is still required to sit on the bathroom shelf. This is purely out of superstition. If I move it to the cabinet, I may start bleeding.

Miracle: I heeded your suggestions and purchased a doppler. Mr. A had some reservations about this. He petitioned against it, stating that it would only make me more anxious in the event that I couldn't find the heartbeat. True, I said, but then I can drive myself to the doctor's office and get that checked out if I'm so worried. I told him all the blog women were doing it. That sealed the deal. Doppler arrived on Friday. Couldn't quite make out the hb on that day, although the machine seemed to be picking something up that was around 125 bpm (certainly not mine, which is really slow). But I tried again on Saturday and used headphones that time and I'm pretty sure I heard it.

Miracle: 12 weeks today and I seem (oh please, please, please) to still have a living fetus inside of me.

Superstition: My nausea is abating. Isn't that a clear sign that my fetus is dead? I guess this is about the time when nausea should decrease, but last time, the decrease in nausea was the one sign that told me (in retrospect) that things were amiss. That being said, I only noticed a little decrease this weekend, right around the 12-week mark. Shit, I sure hope everything's a-ok in there.

Miracle: Hoping for one tomorrow at the NT scan. I will keep you posted.

16 comments:

  1. Good luck with your scan. I have heard of nausea tapering off a little at this point and also of it tapering off and rearing it's head again a few days later. No worries. I hope the NT scan and appointment goes well. The superstitions made me laugh...I felt the same way with prometrium. I even kept a PIO needle in my nightstand just as some weird good luck/reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I took the meds off my bathroom counter until after the NT scan. Perfectly normal, right? I'm glad you have the Doppler. Just remember that when you are searching for the baby to start pretty low, like right above your pubic bone. That is where we had the best luck. And move the wand ever so slightly around. Those little buggers like to try and hide but they are so tiny that they can be hard to track. Best of luck tomorrow and I hope to see a great post from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for 12 weeks! And I totally understand the medication superstition. We think we're way above all that magical thinking stuff, but when it comes right down to it we need those little reminders that everything is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Augusta! This is great news! 12 weeks -- I can't believe how fast that went (I bet it seems like forever for you). Will be thinking and praying for you tomorrow at your scan! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am keeping everything crossed for a positive outcome tomorrow, Augusta. EVERYTHING!

    Btw ... I commented on your last post and blogger ate it? WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 12 weeks is such a wonderful milestone. Yay you!!
    xo Themis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same decline in nausea at 12 weeks. Unfortunately , it was replaced by 28 weeks of raging heartburn. I freaked as well, but I am hoping hard that this NT scan tomorrow will have you at ease. Oh, Augusta, this is so exciting , I can hardly bear it. Thinking of you lots dear woman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending you good wishes. I hear you on the superstition front, been there many times myself. Hope more good news headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quoi? tu finis déjà le premier trimestre? Je suis joie.Biz

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe in miracles, and in you and the wee one growing inside you. Sending love and hope for tpday's u/s and checking back here as often as I can. Xoxoxoxoxoxo H aka Oat

    ReplyDelete
  11. thinking of you and so glad to read your update!!

    xo
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Augusta, I'm here and thinking good thoughts for your scan (though have been a terrible commenter of late). I'm crossing everything. As to the doppler, my experience was the same: husband not entirely certain but I got it anyway...difficult to find in the beginning. It gave me piece of mind. There IS a learning curve to using it but it gets easier (and they get bigger:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Miracle indeed! Normal for the nausea to go away. So happy to see your updates, you're almost at the promised land=T2!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heart in mouth, but so hopeful that you'll be posting good news soon and I can run wild with my optimism. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry just back from vaca. Great updates on the health of the baby.

    It is a 40 week freak. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete