Monday, July 23, 2012

beatbeatbeatbeatbeatbeatbeatbeatbeat

Turns out I haven't been nauseous for nothing. There is a little gummy bear* (more like a gummy worm at this point, really) with a beating heart in there. There being my uterus. Still hard to believe, but the evidence cannot be ignored. While I calculated that I was 7w0d, the wee one measured 7w3d. Although the internet tools told me the due date (if there is one) will be on March 11, Dr. RE said it would be March 6. The day Mr. A and I got married. Oat's birthday. A very wonderful day indeed.

There was a lovely young doc who was set up to do the u/s, but they couldn't find my chart. Turns out Dr. RE had snatched it up, since you know, he wanted to do the u/s himself. And then our nurse walked into the room for another reason, and ended up tagging out the nurse on duty. She too wanted to be there. The young doc ended up performing the u/s and, although young, not too green to keep silent. She voiced in the first 20 seconds that she found the heartbeat. Dr. RE said he couldn't see any collection of blood (no SCH - thank the lord), and he commented that the lining looked good. I checked in at the end with the young doc just to make sure there was nothing concerning that she saw, and she said there was absolutely nothing concerning. At this stage it all looks like it should.

Dr. RE, not surprisingly, was incredibly thoughtful in planning for the next steps. He wasn't sure whether SG would order a repeat u/s, but he remembered well the timing of the fetal demise last time (9w). He said we would be booked for another u/s on August 7. I love this man so much.

It's early days, women. There are still many, many mileposts to cross. But you can't get to those mileposts without crossing this one. So today, I'm just going to be happy we've gotten this far. Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts. It feels so steadying to be supported by our great medical teams and you, amazing friends.




*I'm trying to think of something else to call this growing bean in my belly, but so far, that's all I've got.

29 comments:

  1. Hooray!!! So glad to see this wonderful news! Keep hanging in there and enjoy the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Yay! Yay! So happy for you! I knew you'd get good news today with those beta numbers. This is so awesome...I know how excited you are. Don't feel bad, I can't think of any cute names or references to call ours either. We just say "the baby" or "this one" and point to my stomach. Nice, huh? So darn excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAHOOO!!! Wonderful news!!!

    xo

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK GOD. I'm so glad you don't have to wait a million years for another scan, and that you were surrounded by loving support for this one. That's how it ought to be. I hope you find yourself basking in the glow of well-justified optimism for a good long while, though I'm not expecting you to make it all the way to the 7th...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So freaking relieved! Such wonderful wonderful news!! Yippeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful news! I'm so happy for you! And I like gummy bear!!! Lola was the bean and we still call her that! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEAH!!!!! WooooHoooo!!!! Very very good news!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Augusta, I was waiting for this post with so much excitement all morning, and now I'm overcome with joy! Yaaaaayyy! I love you and Mr. A, and I love gummy bear!!! Hugs and light and congratulations to you all. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! That is awesome news :) Hope to continue to hear more wonderful news from you and that gummy bear. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for crossing this milestone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did a little happy dance (in my head, since I was stuck in lab meeting), when I saw this! Yay for everything looking perfect!! Its also nice that you have such nice doctors, who are so invested in your story. With every step of this journey I've continuously seen new people (some of whom have been utter a-holes), and I really miss having one truly empathetic doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gummy in the TUMMY! This is the best news. Hold fast, my dear. This is a rough bit ahead, but normal is a great start. I am very excited for the due date omens. You are also within a week of Misfits birthday, while an auspicious occasion on its own, is exciting as I love fellow Piscies. Little gummy fish, I am talking to you...great job, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such amazing news, my dear Augusta. I am so very, very, very happy for you! I have tears of joy for you. I know how hard the coming weeks will be for you- you will hold a close place in my heart as you and that little miracle grow stronger. Much love-

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing news..... so much love to you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful news! I just discovered your blog during my own research of the donor egg process. My story is quite different than yours but contains a lot of heartbreak and sorrow. I've never commented on a blog before but I am drawn to your voice, your friends and the world here that you've created. I am wishing you all the best and will follow the story of your pregnancy. Congratulations on the heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment Caitlin. Please let me know if you start your own blog and I'll come over and visit :)

      Delete
  16. !!!!!!!!! Hurray, hurray, hurray !!!!!!!!! So very happy to read this wonderful news. Happy for you, happy for the gummy bear. Gummy bears are, for me, a symbol of joy that relieves sorrow, actually -- so I really like the reference quite a lot. Shall tell you more offline about the story behind that symbol, which you are a part of.

    And, and, and ... March 6th is an awfully special day, I agree (though I am biased). You know I've always said good things start in March (including Firefly, too!) March 6th is also the birthday of Michelangelo, he of the Sistine Chapel's ceiling. The one that took 4+ years to create, not to mention the scaffolding, the painting on his back, the blood sweat and tears. How very appropriate that another work of beauty in whom much time and love has been invested should share Michelangelo's birthday.

    I continue to send love to all of you and deep peace to the little one.

    XOXO, Oat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is, *Dragonfly!*

      Delete
  17. Happy, happy day, Augusta. I am so very glad to read this news. Yes. It is an important hurdle. And you have flown over it. I am so damned happy by this post. Sending love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such wonderful news, was thinking of you today and SO thrilled to read this post! Your flying over these milestones my friend! So happy for you guys and hoping everything else proceeds perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't quite have the words to express how happy and hopeful I am for you and Mr. A. Thanks for the lovely birthday card; you are so wonderfully thoughtful. I hope you know that even in my silences, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Blessings on you and your pregnancy my dear friend. Xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What wonderful news Augusta! Thrilled just doesnt cover it. Yes many milestones to go but this is a DOOZY. I know you have been here before so it is hard to take comfort. Wonderful news!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such great news, hooray! And you've got me craving gummy bears! ;-) But that really is a cute name for what you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, yes! Congrats!

    And Quebec is a lovely city!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is fantastic news!! So so thrilled for you. Looking forward to the baby pictures in 9 months.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes yes yes yes yes! I have been MIA for a few days but you are never ever far from my thoughts! Congrats on a VIABLE pg!!! Few...hope the glow of this news is still shining bright today...

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the best news I've heard all day!!!! So so so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hip Hip Hooray! You had quite the crowd there for the occasion. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete