Wednesday, January 4, 2012

here we go

I'll be heading to the airport tomorrow at this time. I am feeling pretty nervous overall. I could tell because I was irritable beyond words last night, and that is a clear sign that I feel anxious and overwhelmed. I came close to biting Mr. A's head off when he slurped his soup at supper. STOP SLURPING YOUR SOUP...is what I didn't say. I still made it to my yoga class but was showing signs of irritability there too. Oh geez. I sometimes get tired of living inside my head.

I am trying to line up all the ducks before our Friday consult. I think there will still be documents to run after and tests to repeat once we get back here after the consult, but we've made some headway in terms of gathering what SG requires. I am dreading having to repeat the HSG or the sonohysterogram, but they may ask me to do that since both were done longer than 12 months ago.

Our family physician has once again shown herself to be a superstar in terms of supporting us on our journey. When the lab wouldn't take the blood work requisitions from the US, she immediately wrote the orders out for Mr. A while he waited. When the lab refused to fax the results to the US, she had them faxed promptly by her staff. I feel so grateful to have her support.

It's been interesting to read through documents from our file at the fertility clinic. It's really quite dreadful to see what my FSH and LH levels were at when last tested. Both far below one, akin to the levels a child would have. It's information I already had, but it still feels so hard to see in black and white. I realize that it's  part of integrating all the parts of my story, and grieving for what I didn't have/don't have.

The part about working with a new team still makes me uneasy, but I know that will change once I meet them. I found it helpful to hear about your stories of changing clinics and changing REs. And for those who have worked with the team at SG, it's been very helpful to hear about your positive experiences. I think overall, it's just hard to be so exposed (says the girl who writes about her most intimate feelings on a blog for the whole world to see). It's hard to tell the sob story once more. It helps me appreciate my patients experience when they have to retell their stories to me for the nth time. It takes a lot out of a person to hold themselves together while trying to recount the story of a hard journey, trying very hard not to leave any important detail untold. From a brain perspective, so much of the brain's functions are sollicited. And emotion regulation drains the system big time (in my case), leaving less cognitive resources for the telling, the remembering, the formulating of cogent arguments when asked to take lu.pron, etc.

It would be nice to feel hopeful, but as I've discussed here ad nauseum, hope is not something you can order online from J. Cr.ew like a moss-coloured cashmere sweater. What I predominantly feel right now is anxious. Maybe the hope will come later. Maybe it would be putting the horse before the cart at this point to feel very hopeful. I can just keep focusing on the tasks that need to be done to get us there.

Here we go.

Wish us luck.    

11 comments:

  1. That's all you can do Augusta...keep the tasks in perspective and hope will come if and when it wants too. I am PRAYING that all your hard work and emotional energy you are about to embark with regard to cross-border care will pay off. I am beyond thrilled of the level of support your GP is giving you...her/his support is crucial. Take care Augusta...safe travels...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck!! You can do this you are stronger than you think. Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. much, much love and luck headed your way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and hoping everything goes well! Good luck and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luck and love as this begins. Safe travels and wonderful thoughts as the plan unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck! No, I actually meant GOOD LUCK!!! And as always, thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GOOD LUCK!! Thinking of you. So glad you have a wonderful physician helping you jump through all of the hoops

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you guys as you gather your courage once more. Completely normal to feel anxiety right now, I think any time we step out in faith regarding something really important to us its human nature to feel anxious. Hoping you feel the strength & support needed for this next step.

    ReplyDelete
  9. More than luck coming your way. It is hard to find the reserves to keep going. I remember digging deep in myself to grab them and yank them to the surface. Tell me though - once they are found, they stick, dont they? I sure hope you feel a little excitement bubbling up. It can be there, it just might be quiet right now. Listen hard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there my friend Augusta. Wishing you all the luck and peace in the world. I think it's perfectly perfect to not feel excitement just yet, that will come in it's own time. Just feel what you feel and don't question it at this stage. Wishing, hoping and crossing my everything that all falls into place perfectly for you. It's the very least you deserve. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy do I hope it went well. So much. I hope they made you feel comfortable and like the unique case you are, and like they appreciated and understood how much you've had to go through already and how SUPER IMPORTANT IT IS that you be treated with lots of love and empathy, and that you feel like they've got their sh*t together and can be trusted...I hope the anxiety is gone. Even if it's not replaced by anything actually positive, yet.

    ReplyDelete