Friday, December 16, 2011

the week after

Got through it fine. The date came and went. And now it's the week after the due date and I am trying to look forward.

We have scheduled our one-day intensive work up at the Gro.ve for Jan 6. We are flying out on the 5th and returning home by train on the 7th, much to Mr. A's delight (with a 45 min layover in Penn Station on Saturday morning, for New Yorkers who would like me to treat them to coffee). Honestly, I hate flying. I can do it wihtout having a panic attack (barely) but it really creates a lot of distress in me. I certainly was opposed to having to fly after an embryo transfer. What chance would that little peanut have with all quantities of cortisol thrown at it? While there will be no embryos transfered on this trip, we can practice the trips in and out as they will look like when we go for the transfer. Familiarity is our friend in this situation.

I am not sure what to expect. I am hopeful that all will go well and that we will like the team, but I must admit that it feels difficult to contemplate trusting another team. We have so much respect for our doctor in Ontario. It does help that the US doc and our doc know each other. My fear is that I will be treated like a number. For example, the whole question of taking lu.pron or another suppressor comes up in my head a lot. You will remember that I successfull argued against taking supre.fact during our first DE IVF cycle. I am concerned that taking a suppressor introduces too much noise in the equation for absolutely no benefit. There is nothing to suppress in my reproductive system. My pituitary gland is not sending down any LH or FSH. My ovaries most often cannot be visulazed on ultrasound. The Gro.ve doctor asked if my FSH was high, which is what any educated person would assume when seeing the diagnosis of premature ovarian failure. But I find that a poor diagnostic approximation for my condition. I have never ovulated. I will never ovulate. My body has never made gonadotropins. I know that's an abheration, but it's the hand I was delt. So when the doc insists on me having to take Lu.pron, not knowing how my body will respond to something it absolutely doesn't require for the procedure to be successful, I think I will have to put up a stink.

It's one thing to put up a stink with people you know, people who have treated you for years, people who already believe you are an educated and competent person. It's another thing to put up a stink with people who don't know you and might think you're a little bit spun. (which I am, really).

Anyway, I just broke my own rule by writing a blog post at work. But truth be told, I am underwhelmed at my new job and I don't have enough to do. So I feel justified.

How did it feel for you when you changed doctors and medical teams along your IF journey? Do you have any advice you think is important for me to know?

7 comments:

  1. They will be fine with it. I had some issues with meds as well and spoke up and they said as long as I was sure I could do it that way. The main issue was Del Estrogen which is illegal in Canada, so I took estrace vaginally, which worried my SG dr but he agreed and was fine with it. And what do you know! It worked!
    We drove every time we went, it was 10 hours, we took the back roads and it was a really nice drive! Cheaper too! Good luck with your appointment! I hope it goes as you hope!
    All my best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Augusta...first of all...new team...new hope. Keep remembering that. As for the across the border care...just take one step at a time. You'll figure it out. Keep your ON RE in your back pocket and you'll be find as you will need him/her to co-write the prescriptions here in Canada and to do the various blood tests and ultrasounds. Its exhausting. But you can do it...remember...one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I changed doctors after 3 failed IVF cycles. I think it's important to do 2 things: keep an open mind and remember you know your body better than anyone. If you can do both then you won't come off as "spun" just an informed patient. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really excited when I switched docs. I really thought it would "be the answer" however which I would encourage you against as all docs are fallible (you sound like you are being more rational that I was though....) As the above poster said, I think we know more about our bodies. But let's say, I hope a fresh set of eyes bring more answers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a big virtual hug--I'm so deeply sorry you're not cuddling a newborn owlet right now. It's just absurd and ridiculous and unfair. This step forward is exciting, though. I hope they treat you with respect and listen to you. You certainly deserve it. My hope is that once they figure out how knowledgeable you are, they will get hip to your right to call some of the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Bunny, I find it absurd and ridiculous and unfair that there is no owlet in your arms. But I am very glad that you got through the date fine. And I am all sorts of hopeful for SG. They have the best reputation in the DC area, and the fact that your doctor has a personal connection is good. Also, I think you have every right to put up a stink about the Lupron, and anything else that doesn't make sense to you. I switched doctors not once, not twice but three times (and was considering a fourth). And I actually found that when you've switched doctors - particularly bearing a few scars from previous experience - the new doctors are more willing to listen to you. You have hard experience behind you and they're aware that they're being compared to others in their profession, and this makes it much more difficult to discount your opinion (which shouldn't be discounted in the first place).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Initially when I looked at clinics for embryo donation biotexcom responded very quickly to my queries and had the shortest waiting time. My coordinator called me and gave me all the details of what treatment involved, and answered all the questions I had. She also has very good English so there was no communication barrier at all. This process was a lot easier than I anticipated. All contact made through email and at all times my emails were responded to quickly and thoroughly. And the cost was not too much either. I was sent a treatment plan which was very clear and easy to follow. I was given my transfer date well in advance so I had plenty of time to plan my flights and accommodation. When I attended biotexcom on the day of transfer I was impressed at what a spotlessly clean clinic this is. All the staff was extremely friendly. I met my coordinator who was so friendly and kind and put me at ease before treatment. I spoke to the embryologist and the doctor before treatment. Procedure was very quick and efficient by the doctor performing procedure. After years of infertility treatment I am so glad I made the decision to go with embryo adoption. It is not easy to decide to go to another country and have treatment. I can’t believe how smoothly and stress free this process was. After years of tears and heartache they have helped to make myself and my husband’s dream of having a family come true. I am so grateful!

    ReplyDelete