Monday, May 23, 2011

The cure for T1 grumps

Is coffee.

I woke up on Saturday morning, and felt like the constipation was more than I could continue to bear. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Mr. A and I went to the farmer's market, our typical Saturday morning activity, and for the first time since October, I had a cup of caffeinated coffee. Did I ever mention that I LOVE COFFEE? It tasted so bloody good, it must have been illegal. The sun was shining (it's been raining for weeks in Ontario), it was the beginning of a three-day weekend, I was wearing a red skirt with sandals, I had a coffee in hand, my honey at my side, and life was grand. I honestly couldn't remember the last time I felt this good. We sat outside with our coffees and breakfast sandwiches. It was wonderful to feel good again.

I visited Dr. Ninja later that day. I asked whether he thought the 15mgs of iron in my prenatal vitamins could be related to the intestinal misery I've been experiencing. Yes. He did think it was worth trying to replace it with a different multivitamin. He freaked me out a little bit with his concerns re: the impact of constipation on the fetus (squishes the fetus and increases toxicity in the body). But I did reason with myself that many pregnant women experience this symptom and go on to deliver healthy babies. Two days later, I am happy to report that the iron might have been the culprit, as things seem to be improving.

I am not back to drinking coffee, but that little taste certainly made me lusty.

To follow-up on my last post, it appears I will be getting an u/s much sooner than anticipated. I wasn't going to go through with the IPS (integrated prenatal screening - which includes a blood test and the NT scan) because we have already ruled out having amniocentesis. We thought that the information the test would provide us would not be of great use because of our reluctance to do the amnio. My doctor was also unsure of whether the testing norms would mean anything for someone who is pregnant as a result of egg donation. She called me back last week to say that the test was valid for those who went through egg donation. In the end, it was the u/s that got me. The chance to have an u/s soon was too alluring. Of course, my doctor said it wasn't a good reason to get the test done, but I don't care. We are about to start telling people of the pregnancy, and I would like to have it on fact that there is a living fetus in there. So I'm having the scan on Wednesday morning. Hoping all is well in there.  

 

10 comments:

  1. Hurray for coffee, hurray for red skirts and sandals and a honey by your side, hurray for the farmers markets! And best of all, hurray for Wednesday morning's u/s! XOXO and all my love, H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaah! so excited that you will have an u/s on Wed and can see your little one. can't wait to hear how it goes. glad to hear you are feeling better as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you :) I'm also pregnat with a DE, 31 weeks now. Just wanted to let you know for constipation my doctor told me to take milk of magnesium if I had to. But overall I'm on 12 mg of calcium + 5000 mg of vitamin D and I believe the combination has helped keep me regular - all based on doctors order. Also my prenatals have colace in them and so that helps as well - I'm on citra natal Assure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh.....coffee how I love thee so! Glad the constipation is better and glad things are progressing well with the little owl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm crossing fingers, toes and everything else for your scan. My doctor put me on a magic prenatal (Citranatal) that has caused no problems on that front, so if this current one stops working it's something to consider.

    Glad you had that cup of coffee. Glad you enjoyed it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also LOVE coffee, honestly with my first pregnancy I didn't touch any caffeine this time around I'm a bit more laid back about all of that. I still allow myself a 1/2 caffeinated coffee most mornings and relish it this time. Glad you allowed yourself this enjoyment! Will be thinking about you Wednesday and hoping you receive reassuring news ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for beginning to feel great. My OB told me I NEEDED to drink 1 cup of coffee a day to help with my headaches, I was shocked, but man oh man, do I love coffee also. Drink up and enjoy!

    In terms of the IPS just be prepared for whatever results you get - especially if your plan is no amnio (we chose against it too) and now I am constant,y thinking about it. I don't want to scare you and I'm SURE your risk will come back extremely low, it's just something to think about.

    Good luck on Wednesday, I'm so excited for you

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does feel good to feel good again :) and it is wonderful that you appreciate the good feeling as much as you do. I find myself appreciating so many of life's little good things these days. its nice.

    I love that you indulged in a cup of coffee. I steal sips from ML a few times a week. I also had a big glass of dr pepper with pizza last week, realizing later that the soda was full of caffeine. oops :)

    PS - I put a little something in the mail for you. Hopefully I got enough postage on it so that it actually finds you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a cup every weekend. Ahh, that is some good business. I am glad to hear your poopers is back on track.

    Wednesday is tomorrow! Hello baby Gusta.

    Enjoy the show and the tests. It is always a scary those moments before contact is made. We are all keeping you company.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending super good thoughts for today. And thanks for reminding us what the plan was re: NT scan. I love the "take the US, ignore the testing" plan. Makes excellent sense. (Though I confess to hoping you'll find the results reassuring and end up being glad of them...)

    Also, not to quarrel with Dr. Ninja, but yes--if constipation were a baby killer, the human race would have died out by now. Glad you've found a solution to yours.

    ReplyDelete