Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ultrasound One

Unbelievable! That wand is most certainly magic. Today, firmly gripped by one of the REs at our clinic, it located the little sac and little primitive creature we know as an embryo. It even located a rhythmic flicker known as a heartbeat. Where did this magic wand locate such miracles you ask? In MY uterus. On MY birthday.

The little owlet measured 6w6d, and today was technically 7w0d, so we all agree that it is measuring right on target.

They were running late this morning, which was fine by me. As far as I am concerned, they have a lot banked after all they have done for me. So they could have been 2 hours late instead of 1 hour and I still would have been ok. It was an RE and a nurse I had never met who were running the ultrasounds this morning. Once they got me oriented, they went to get our beloved nurse case manager. She seemed happy to see us and relieved that there had not been any more bleeding. I looked away as the RE tried to find what she was looking for, and pretty quickly, she hit the jackpot. One little one in there. We saw the heartbeat pretty quickly, which was amazing. And pretty soon, I was crying in disbelief. I never entirely believed we would be in this situation. And yet, there we were. Mr. A was ecstatic.

After I wiped my tears and started grinning like a fool, the RE gave me a hug. Our nurse case manager also gave me the warmest hug. I then mentioned it was my birthday, and everyone was just even more thrilled.

They want to repeat the ultrasound next Tuesday. I am happy to do that. It's amazing to see this miracle on screen.

I have a belly full of birthday Thai food and am close to falling asleep. Good night, my beauties.

20 comments:

  1. I am SOOOOOOOOO happy for you and Mr. A!!!!! I must have checked your blog a dozen times today, hoping for this wonderful news. I just wish I had the words to express the tremendous joy I feel right now! That little creature is so blessed to have you for his/her mama! Happy, happy birthday! All my love my dear Augusta. Hugs and kisses and prayers for continued coziness inside your uterus! And most of all, shouts of joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAAAYYYY!!! I am so very delighted for you, Mr. A, and your perfect owlet. Happy Birthday, my darling!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful birthday present! Happy Birthday, my friend. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you Augusta! Congrats!! Oh and of course Happy Birthday! Best present ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe, so thrilled for you my friend!!! Happy Birthday and Happy Pregnancy, heres to the best year of your life yet and a smooth drama free pregnancy! So, so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So thrilled for you! Happy happy birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grinning hugely over here. So happy and so relieved -- though I'm sure its nothing compared to what you and Mr. A feel. Here's to bellies full of birthday Thai food and a happy, cozy uterus home for the little one. I am saying deep prayers of gratitude to all that is good and beautiful in this world ... because two of the most loving parents in the world just got a little one to love.

    XOXOXO and I just cannot contain my happiness, so !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and <3 <3 <3, and a BIG happy birthday to you,
    H aka Oat

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful news! And the BEST Birthday present! Congratulations on your little owlet. I am OVER THE MOON for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAHOOOOOOOO! Dancing in circles with joy as I read this. So, so, so very happy for you and Mr. A! Love to all three of you. -A

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phew! Despite my confidence, I am relieved and thrilled to hear this. It sounds like an unforgettable birthday. And this is a huge milestone. That little on is in there but good!

    37 is going to be quite a year! (And hey, I'm 37 weeks today!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YEAH!!! what good news! What a wonderful birthday present! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome news! What a wonderful birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! What a beautiful birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Talk about weepy and grinning like a fool! Augusta, I'm both. Oh, wonderful owlet with your wonderful flickering heartbeat. This news has made my week. So very, very, very glad.

    Happy birthday. You deserved everything you got for it:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so relieved to hear all is well! I knew you went back in from the bleeding, but I never heard anything... I was really scared for you... but I knew it was all ok.

    I have to admit, I sure thought you had twins!

    Congratulations all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all, HAPPT BIRTHDAY! I just might have to light a little candle and eat some desert in your honor.

    I am overjoyed that you have one healthy little owl growing happily in your sweet womb. Seeing that heartbeat really is something else, isn't it. You capture my sentiments exactly by saying that "I never entirely believed we would be in this situation."

    I can't wait for our next ultrasound in 2 week. Can't WAIT!

    love you you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I am so so so so glad to hear this! I kept checking in to see an update and I am sooo happy that you saw your little baby on the ultrasound! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blogger just ate my comment! grrr!

    I am SO happy, excited, weepy, all of it! This is the best news I've heard all day!

    Enjoy every second of it. You got this. You deserve this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There just wouldnt be a birthday present that could top that one, ever. It's the best and most deserving gift. So pleased all is ok with you and your little owlet.
    x

    ReplyDelete