Saturday, April 16, 2011

ABCs on a rainy day

I saw this little meme over at Ginger and Lime's place and she got it from Misconceptions about Conception. Thought it would be fun to do on this rainy Saturday afternoon. 

A. Age: 36 (for another 3 days)

B. Bed size: Queen. I keep asking myself if we'll have to bump things up to king if and when there are more people in the bed. For now, it fits Mr. A, Chicken and I just well.  

C. Chore you dislike: Is there a chore I like aside from washing the dishes? 

D. Dogs: No dogs. I like them well enough, but Mr. A and I are more cat people. I could be convinced to get a standard poodle, though.

E. Essential start to your day: cold water. Lots of it!

F. Favorite color: I really like steel blue, and otherwise, I have always had a penchant for warm colours like oranges, reds and browns.

G. Gold or silver: silver.

H. Height: 5'10". I love being tall. It's so easy to find your friends in a crowd.

I. Instruments you play(ed): I took piano lessons as a kid and wish I'd kept it up. I enjoyed playing it. I have promised myself to take cello lessons once my PhD was done, so stay tuned.

J. Job title: Clinical Psychologist (although I'm not yet registered with our professional association and can't technically call myself that at this point in time. At work though, that's what they use as my title).

K. Kids: God and the Universe willing, maybe in December.

L. Live: we rent a house in a medium-size college town in southern Ontario. There is a nice front porch and a small backyard.

M. Mom’s name:

N. Nicknames: Augie? Augs? Aoûta (given to me by Pumpkin). My AT trail name was Moosewood.

O. Overnight hospital stays: A 5 1/2 month gig in the nut house* when I was 19-20 for anorexia, and a weekend in the ER for the same reason.

P. Pet peeves: People who talk over each other; when the dishcloth is left at the bottom of the sink where it gets soggy and gross; when people complain about winter in December.   

Q. Quote from a movie: "Hey Mr. grumpy gills. When life gets you down, you know what you gotta do? just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming" (from finding Nemo, rivaled only by 'my bubbles' but that one doesn't translate well in text).

R. Righty or lefty: Righty. 

S. Siblings: None.

V. Vegetables you don’t like: No fennel under any circumstance. I don't eat onions, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, green onions, and zucchini raw, but I really like all of those veggies when they are cooked.   

W.What makes you run late:  I'm not often late, but if I am, it's that I've tried to pack too much in. A good snow storm will also make me late.

Y. Yummy food you make:  I am known for my salads (making them and eating them -> please ask Oat about this). Mr. A says he likes my soups, stir fries and omelets. I can also bake (I have made some decent birthday cakes when putting the effort in. People often ask me to make beet chocolate cupcakes. G&L, maybe that's one way you would like beets?). I can open the fridge door and come up with supper, when others feel like there is nothing to eat. I'm sure that this skill will serve me well if I do become a mom.

Z. Zoo animal favorites: (even though I don't like them being in a zoo) Giraffes, elephants, and the big cats. I was also fascinated by the octopus at the Seattle aquarium last fall. 

* Please know that I use the word nut house with humour and with no intention of offending. I'm obviously devoting much of my life to fighting against mental illness. 

7 comments:

  1. I watched Little One last night and she was so cute the way she says 'A-B-C-D" It is always nice to learn a little more about you, especially cool that you are tall like me :) Hope that you enjoy the rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm beet chocolate cupcakes? I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Profaning chocolate cupcakes with beets? I am skeptical yet intrigued.

    And yay for cello lessons! Definitely keep us posted on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't really taste the beets. They work to moisten the cupcakes, making them divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating! Especially interested to learn (or be reminded) that you are an only child, and tall, and not a fan of so many raw veggies. Lovelovelove.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cello! I am thrilled about this. The most beautiful instrument. I had no idea about your beet chocolate cupcakes, which I have been wanting to try my hand at for a year now. This is why we must live closer to each other one day. Also, so many raw veggies you don't eat? I only knew about the onions! Especially surprising given the salad thing. So many stories about that. Mostly I just think that when salad is being served, it's best to serve two large bowls if A is at the table -- one for her, and one for the rest of us!

    Meanwhile A, in the immortal words of Fleetwood Mac, I "can't stop thinking about tomorrow," and am holding in my heart all my confidence that the news will be very, very good.

    Sending love, hope, and deep belief in the health of this pregnancy.

    XOXO, H aka Oat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm enjoying the vision of you playing cello with a nice big baby-filled belly... And we bought a king size bed a few months ago to accommodate Bun Bun. I must say, I'm loving it!

    I am sending SUCH good thoughts for tomorrow. May it be a magical birthday, filled with that most amazing of sounds, the fetal heartbeat. I am very confident, if that makes you feel any better...

    ReplyDelete