Monday, September 13, 2010

Bearing fruit

A few little pictures from our trip to Niagara on the Lake. The first two pictures are about fruit. Plants bearing fruit. Huh, I know the metaphor is facile, but nonetheless, it expresses my deep, deep wishes for all of us. MAY WE BEAR FRUIT. And may the harvest come soon.

The grapes and pears were taken at Frogpond Farm, one of the few organic wineries. We enjoyed meeting their sheep, chickens, and one very excited puppy. We bought a bunch of wine from them, since Mr. August is part and supporter of the organic movement.




One of the sheep had jumped the fence (which had been left off) and Mr. August put her back in her enclosure with her sisters. They were sweet creatures, those ewes. A bit skittish, but their eyes and smiles looked so sincere. We were fast friends.


We missed our chicken while we were away (chicken is how we call our cat). But the B&B had live chickens roaming around. Mr. August even picked one up to pet her.



Finally, here is a little photo documentation of my dairy free, wheat free find at a local coffee shop, called Balzac. Soy latte and vegan cookie. YUM!

We had a great time this weekend and returning to reality this morning was a little hard. My dissertation had not progressed in my absence, alas. The time away was very rejuvenating. I think my favourite was biking around on Saturday, with the sun shining over us, the wind on our cheeks, and the beautiful Niagara river flowing to our left and several meters under us. It was glorious!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that it was such a great trip for you!!! Get aways with the hubby are the best thing in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MAN! I want to be there sooooo bad! It looks really relaxing and lovely.

    Did you leave your dissertation specific instructions? Sometimes they need that extra push, otherwise they'll just watch TV all day. Actually, I think the thing that helped me the most in finishing up mine was just giving myself permission to have it not be perfect. When I started it, I dreamed it would be the most amazing dissertation ever written, but then I transitioned to having it be a dissertation that was completed, and that took the pressure off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken petting! I can't wait for us to become urban farmers. I am sending you dissertation writing fits of pure brilliance. I am ever so grateful to have given up the ambition to pursue higher education. I am amazed by your progress and I am here to cheer you on.

    Yes, fecundity for all! (I believe that this ought to be in the constitution "Life, liberty and the pursuit of fecundity.")

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful getaway- I had one of those too. It is so hard to come back. May we all bear fruit is right! It's time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful getaway! I'm so glad, Augusta. You and the Mister deserved it to be so. Great photos, and I'm very impressed with your husband's chicken and sheep-wrangling skills (and even more impressed that he is part of the organic movement).

    I like the fruit pictures. May there be more than a little feng shui magic in there for us all:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, those photos look like they're taken in NZ! The chickens and sheep are adorable. Glad you had a good time away and that you found a good coffee fix that fits in with your new diet!
    I like the idea of us all bearing fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO glad for the wonderful weekend! Thinking of you and of Friday's appointment.

    XOXO,
    HVF-H

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a lovely time. That fruit looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete