Monday, August 16, 2010

Chicken





At the request of Bunny, I give you pictures of my kitty cat, last Wednesday, after she got what's called the lion shave. Tibbs (her given name, but I just call her chicken) got sprayed by a skunk in July and after a bath in tomato juice, another in hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap, her fur was just one big dreadlock. She looked supremely uncomfortable, so we saw no alternatives but to get her shaved. I know, I know, it's like we took her dignity away. I mean, look at her! Mr. August calls her an Ookpik, after the little rhyme that follows:

Ookpik - by Dennis Lee


An Ookpik is nothing but hair.
If you shave him, he isn't there.

He's never locked in the zoo.
He lives in a warm igloo.

He can whistle and dance on the walls.
He can dance on Niagara Falls.

He has nothing at all on his mind.
If you scratch him, he wags his behind.

He dances from moring to night.
Then he blinks. That turns out the light.

-from Alligator Pie

7 comments:

  1. Awwwww:) The lion shave is adorable. (Though, I'm guessing the skunk spray was less so:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gooooo - you have the cutest kitty kat. My cat spend so much time grooming, I'm not sure what she'd do if we shaved her! I love the Lion shave with her fury face. animals are so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was right, that's hilarious! I believe some people routinely shave their pets in the summer, so perhaps she likes it? Though the photos only suggest that she's HUMILIATED! I bet it will be fun as it grows out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygoodness, that is FANTASTIC! Your cutie pie actually looks like a combo of our two--one is grey like Chicken's body, and the other is stripier (Maine Coon mix, we think) like her face. Thanks for posting these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Just popping by from Bunny's blog after seeing your comment cracked me up. Skunks are cute things, too. Your Chicken looks like she's looking for her towel after getting caught naked. Cat dignity is such a funny thing. I'll get caught up on your story here, so hope you don't mind me chiming in with drivel and nonsense (and maybe a wee bit of sound advice or support) from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. God. Does your cat hate you ... cause he looks pretty pissed :) I've got two odd ones of my own.

    ReplyDelete