Sunday, January 24, 2010

adopting


I sit in my little study in our new place (we are renting this sweet little red brick house, did I mention?) with a cat on my lap. Yes, we adopted a cat. The truth is that this is the cat's house and she is letting us live here. She's been here since 3 owners ago and so the house is more hers than ours. She arrived yesterday, having been housed with someone else for the time of transition, and now she has returned.

Her name is Tibbs.

She seems a little discombobulated, a little out of sorts. She looks around, walks a step, stops, and meows. She looks at us as if to say "who are you and what are you doing here?" But we feed her and pet her, and she seems to like that. She also appears to seek the warmth of a human body, ergo her current position on my lap. Tibbs is a very fluffy cat, but when you get down to it, she's really bony.

I listened to a CBC piece on 'C'est la vie' about a couple that adopted in Haiti. They got their son in November, 2 months before the earthquake. It took 42 months for them to get him. They talked about their heartache and it made me cry. It made me think that I can't yet choose adoption because there are so many heartaches to be gotten through when embarking on the process. I'm not ready for more heartaches yet. Yet.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for furbabies!!!

    It took my friends 2 1/2 years to get their children they adopted from Haiti.

    ReplyDelete